These gluten free courgette, banana & blueberry pancakes/pikelets make a delicious weekend breakfast treat. The courgettes give them a little moisture and the buttermilk makes them light and fluffy. The banana and blueberries provide additional nutrients and just enough sweetness!
1 1/2 cups grated courgettes (2 small)
1 medium ripe banana
2 free-range eggs
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 (finely grated) lemon zest
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups gluten free brown rice flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
45g cooled, melted butter
1 cup blueberries (frozen and defrosted) or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Coconut oil or butter, for cooking.
To serve: Blueberries or fresh fruit of your choice, liquid honey or maple syrup, plain yoghurt & mint leaf and a light dusting of cinnamon.
How To Create The Magic
Preheat oven to 50°C.
1. Melt the butter and leave to cool.
2. Coarsely grate the courgettes, squeeze out excess moisture using a clean tea towel.
3. Blend the banana, brown sugar, eggs, lemon zest, buttermilk, baking soda, baking powder and salt until smooth. Add the courgette and pulse to combine.
4. Add mixture to a large mixing bowl, then sift in the flour. Stir until combined (but don't over mix).
5. Fold in the cooled melted butter, then carefully add the blueberries (or chocolate chips). ⠀
6. Using a non-stick frying pan, melt a knob of butter or coconut oil and swirl around to coat. Dollop spoonfuls of batter into the pan and cook on low/medium heat until bubbles start to appear, then flip it over (with fish slice) and cook for a further 2 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and keep warm in the oven.
7. Stack pancakes, serve with fruit, yoghurt, honey or whatever you like and devour them!