Healthy eating doesn't have to be complicated or expensive! This hearty soup recipe is simple, economical and packed full of nutrients to keep you healthy during lockdown. It's a winner for a warming lunch or light supper and takes less than 30 minutes! Use the recipe as a base, then add or switch out/in ingredients of your choice.
Healthy eating doesn't have to be complicated or expensive!
Ingredients (serves 6)
1 large onion
2 cups of potatoes
2 large carrots
1 large leek
2-3 cloves garlic
4cm fresh ginger
4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
1 tin of plum tomatoes
1 cup red split lentils (rinsed)
1 tablespoons miso paste (optional)
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Finely chop the onion. Roughly chop the carrot, potatoes, leeks, carrots, cauliflower into bite size pieces (as shown).
2. Heat the oil on medium in a large cooking pot. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, potatoes and cook for 5 mins, stirring regularly.
3. Add the leek, cauliflower, turmeric and cumin and cook for a further 2 mins.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes, stock and red lentils. Give it a good stir and put the lid on. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are all cooked. Add more (boiling) water if needed.
5. Add the miso (optional), stir and cook for a further 2 minutes. Throw in a good pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh coriander or parsley if you have it. My partner also loves to add chilli flakes to his! If you pre
fer a smoother consistency, just use a stick blender.